- 31/01/2017MYXOMATOSIS: Is the change in rabbit myxoma virus to be less deadly an example of evolution?
The original question was: The plague numbers of Australian rabbits originally exposed to the myxoma virus had a mortality rate up to 99% in some areas. Over generations rabbits have gained resistance to the virus and their mortality rate has dropped to almost insignificance. Studies have shown that the virus has also changed to become […]
- 31/01/2017HERMENEUTICS? Can we read Genesis without using hermeneutics that require 6 days to be literal?
Answer By John Mackay The background to this question is: Recently I ran a teachers’ conference in a large school. One teacher asked: “There are many Christians who believe in millions of years, so how do we incorporate this into our Christian schooling?” When challenged that a Christian should be more interested in what the […]
- 14/12/2016FOSSIL LEAF? Are the fossil leaves made in your stalactite experiments really fossils or just imprints?
The original question was: I have read your report on ‘fossil leaves found in a UK stalagmite’ less than 100years old. I need to know if your duplication of these actually produced fossils or just imprints in the limestone, which is not really a fossil, is it? This question relates to two articles on the […]
- 14/12/2016ZEBRA STRIPES? Why do zebras have stripes? Did the stripes evolve for camouflage?
Answer by Diane Eager Many theories have been put forward as to why zebras have stripes, including camouflage to elude both large and small predators, i.e. lions and horseflies. The problem with that explanation is that lions and flies both attack other creatures, (including people) but none of those show any signs of developing stripes. […]
- 09/11/2016BIOLOGOS stated Noah’s flood was only a local event and is only a theological story. What do you think?
The original question was: I read on the BioLogos website that Noah’s flood was only a local event, and is really a theological story. I have also heard the claim that the Flood was a local event from other sources, including those who claim to be evangelical Christians. Why do you claim it was world-wide? […]
- 09/11/2016PLANETS? Why does the Bible only mention the creation of stars, and not the planets?
Answer by John Mackay Genesis chapter 1 verse 16 reads “he made the stars also,” where stars is a translation of the Hebrew word ‘kokab’. (see Strongs 3556) All modern English versions use the word ‘star’ here, so what about planets? Where do they come from? Actually, I still remember learning in my Year Eight […]
- 01/11/2016BEES: How could social bees survive the flood if only two bees were on the Ark?
The original question was: Many animals can only reproduce when they are members of a colony of many individuals. For example: social bees can’t survive with only a male and female, but God said the animals on the ark were pairs composed of a male and female. Can you explain this? Answer by John Mackay Some […]
- 18/10/2016BACTERIA: Isn’t the observed increase in resistance to antibiotics proof that bacteria are evolving?
Antibiotic resistance is regularly presented as proof of evolution in school courses and to the general public, and hardly a week goes by without some health experts warning us about “superbugs” evolving resistance to antibiotics. Scientists have also carried out experiments where they expose bacteria to gradually increasing amounts of antibiotics and found bacteria that […]
- 14/09/2016WHALE EVOLUTION? What about the evidence showing whales have evolved from land animals?
Answer by Diane Eager and John Mackay High School text books back in the 1990’s introduced a diagram showing the evolutionary history of whales that is still in the minds of most people. A dog like creature (Mesoynchid) somehow evolved into a semi-aquatic walking creature called Ambulocetus which further evolved tail flukes like a whale, […]
- 16/08/2016MOUNTAINS: Amos says God makes mountains rise. Is that relevant as he wrote in a different dispensation?
The original question was: In your answer on Mt Everest you referred to the prophet Amos 4:13, but aren’t statements about God causing the mountains to rise in Amos irrelevant because Amos was writing in a previous dispensation? Answer by John Mackay Amos wrote: For behold, He who forms mountains, And creates the wind, Who […]