- 14/09/2016WHALE EVOLUTION? What about the evidence showing whales have evolved from land animals?
Answer by Diane Eager and John Mackay High School text books back in the 1990’s introduced a diagram showing the evolutionary history of whales that is still in the minds of most people. A dog like creature (Mesoynchid) somehow evolved into a semi-aquatic walking creature called Ambulocetus which further evolved tail flukes like a whale, […]
- 16/08/2016MOUNTAINS: Amos says God makes mountains rise. Is that relevant as he wrote in a different dispensation?
The original question was: In your answer on Mt Everest you referred to the prophet Amos 4:13, but aren’t statements about God causing the mountains to rise in Amos irrelevant because Amos was writing in a previous dispensation? Answer by John Mackay Amos wrote: For behold, He who forms mountains, And creates the wind, Who […]
- 10/08/2016MOUNTAINS? Are the high hills and mountains in Genesis 7 the same?
The original question was: In Genesis 7 God first refers to the high hills being covered, and then to the mountains being covered. Do high hills and mountains have the same meaning in this context? Answer by John Mackay The King James Version of Genesis 7:19-20 reads: Verse 19: And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon […]
- 02/08/2016NOAH’S FLOOD? Where did the olive in dove’s mouth come from if the whole world was flooded?
The original question was: The olive leaf in the dove’s mouth? Where did it come from if the world had been totally flooded for one year in Noah’s day? Surely all plant life would have died? Answer by John Mackay Let’s start with Noah entering the ark. The record in Genesis 1-6, indicates that prior […]
- 26/07/2016HORSE EVOLUTION: How do you explain the evolutionary sequence of horse fossils?
Answer by Diane Eager and John Mackay Here is a typical description of horse evolution from the Natural History Museum in Oxford UK (2016): “The evolutionary origins of the modern horse can be trace back to the beginning of the Eocene period, around 55 million years ago. At that time the first horse, Hyracotherium, was […]
- 12/07/2016SIX DAYS: Do any doctrines depend on the six days of Creation, or is it just an interesting but irrelevant issue?
Answer by John Mackay Let’s start with an eye-banger! Those who claim the Genesis six days of Creation narrative is not an issue as no Christian doctrine depends on it, actually means no one would have been able to recognise Jesus Christ as Lord or Saviour? So what do I mean? There is no doubt […]
- 21/06/2016TRANSGENDERING? Is it possible to change your gender?
Answer by Diane Eager Consider this: If a militant transgender promoter was murdered and can no longer promote their claimed sexuality, DNA tests on any cell in their body will reveal that they never were a male who could be a female, or vice versa. Gender is definitely biological. It is not a cultural construct […]
- 21/06/2016BIRD DIET: How did New Zealand’s native birds change to eating human leftovers? Is this evolution?
The original question was: Both Maoris and Europeans brought new types of food to NZ, yet the native birds seemed to find no problem eating our food scraps immediately. Can you explain this to me? Is it an example of evolution? Answer by John Mackay Birds native or otherwise along with most land dwelling vertebrate […]
- 14/06/2016ORIGIN OF LIFE: Since all chemicals needed for life occur by natural processes do we need a creator to make life?
The original question was: My biology lecturer has stated that since the early days of Millers amino acid experiment we have discovered natural processes on earth and in stars can make amino acids for proteins, sugars for DNA, complex carbohydrates and on and on, so no god is needed to make life because given long […]
- 14/06/2016THE HOBBIT? Was Homo floresiensis a human ancestor or a deformed human?
Answer by Diane Eager Homo floresiensis is the scientific name given to bones found in a cave on the Indonesian island of Flores initially in 2003. Since then more bones have been found and the creature has been nicknamed “The Hobbit” due to its small stature, about 3 feet tall, and its small head. As […]