- 14/12/2016FOSSIL LEAF? Are the fossil leaves made in your stalactite experiments really fossils or just imprints?
The original question was: I have read your report on ‘fossil leaves found in a UK stalagmite’ less than 100years old. I need to know if your duplication of these actually produced fossils or just imprints in the limestone, which is not really a fossil, is it? This question relates to two articles on the […]
- 14/12/2016ZEBRA STRIPES? Why do zebras have stripes? Did the stripes evolve for camouflage?
Answer by Diane Eager Many theories have been put forward as to why zebras have stripes, including camouflage to elude both large and small predators, i.e. lions and horseflies. The problem with that explanation is that lions and flies both attack other creatures, (including people) but none of those show any signs of developing stripes. […]
- 09/11/2016BIOLOGOS stated Noah’s flood was only a local event and is only a theological story. What do you think?
The original question was: I read on the BioLogos website that Noah’s flood was only a local event, and is really a theological story. I have also heard the claim that the Flood was a local event from other sources, including those who claim to be evangelical Christians. Why do you claim it was world-wide? […]
- 09/11/2016PLANETS? Why does the Bible only mention the creation of stars, and not the planets?
Answer by John Mackay Genesis chapter 1 verse 16 reads “he made the stars also,” where stars is a translation of the Hebrew word ‘kokab’. (see Strongs 3556) All modern English versions use the word ‘star’ here, so what about planets? Where do they come from? Actually, I still remember learning in my Year Eight […]
- 01/11/2016BEES: How could social bees survive the flood if only two bees were on the Ark?
The original question was: Many animals can only reproduce when they are members of a colony of many individuals. For example: social bees can’t survive with only a male and female, but God said the animals on the ark were pairs composed of a male and female. Can you explain this? Answer by John Mackay Some […]
- 18/10/2016BACTERIA: Isn’t the observed increase in resistance to antibiotics proof that bacteria are evolving?
Antibiotic resistance is regularly presented as proof of evolution in school courses and to the general public, and hardly a week goes by without some health experts warning us about “superbugs” evolving resistance to antibiotics. Scientists have also carried out experiments where they expose bacteria to gradually increasing amounts of antibiotics and found bacteria that […]
- 14/09/2016WHALE EVOLUTION? What about the evidence showing whales have evolved from land animals?
Answer by Diane Eager and John Mackay High School text books back in the 1990’s introduced a diagram showing the evolutionary history of whales that is still in the minds of most people. A dog like creature (Mesoynchid) somehow evolved into a semi-aquatic walking creature called Ambulocetus which further evolved tail flukes like a whale, […]
- 16/08/2016MOUNTAINS: Amos says God makes mountains rise. Is that relevant as he wrote in a different dispensation?
The original question was: In your answer on Mt Everest you referred to the prophet Amos 4:13, but aren’t statements about God causing the mountains to rise in Amos irrelevant because Amos was writing in a previous dispensation? Answer by John Mackay Amos wrote: For behold, He who forms mountains, And creates the wind, Who […]
- 10/08/2016MOUNTAINS? Are the high hills and mountains in Genesis 7 the same?
The original question was: In Genesis 7 God first refers to the high hills being covered, and then to the mountains being covered. Do high hills and mountains have the same meaning in this context? Answer by John Mackay The King James Version of Genesis 7:19-20 reads: Verse 19: And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon […]
- 02/08/2016NOAH’S FLOOD? Where did the olive in dove’s mouth come from if the whole world was flooded?
The original question was: The olive leaf in the dove’s mouth? Where did it come from if the world had been totally flooded for one year in Noah’s day? Surely all plant life would have died? Answer by John Mackay Let’s start with Noah entering the ark. The record in Genesis 1-6, indicates that prior […]